Advice regarding the use of e-cigarettes.
It has been stated that e-cigarettes are “healthier” than traditional tobhttp://goodcounselcollege.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/e-cigarettes.docxacco products. It has never been claimed or evidence produced to say that they are “healthy”. Hence they still have health implications for those who use them.
Are you informed? Is your son informed?
THE RISKS AND DANGERS ASSOCIATED WITH E-CIGARETTES
Information for Parents & Students
We have noticed an increase in the number of boys using e-cigarettes. When the issue is addressed with them it is evident:
- Many of these boys would never consider smoking tobacco based product. Because of the sweet like flavourings/lack of smoky smell students are not concerned by the use e-cigarettes.
- The majority of the boys are not aware of the potential health risks attached to the use of e-cigarettes.
Almost 88% of young people think they would not try an e-cigarette if it did not have any flavour like candy or fruit.
What does an e-cigarette look like?
Reasons to be concerned about e-cigarettes.
- They produce more than just water vapour where second-hand aerosol contain nicotine, ultrafine particles, heavy metal, diacetyl and other cancer causing agents. “Popcorn Lung Video”
- Nicotine is poisonous in concentrates of 30mg and over to children. The candy/fruit flavours in refills mask the danger associated with nicotine.
- The concentrate of nicotine in unregulated refills can vary.
- E-cigarettes are a gateway to tobacco smoking for some young people.
- E-cigarettes products can be used as a delivery system for marijuana and other illicit drugs.
Press ctrl + Click on the Fact Sheet from the US Public Health Service