Good Counsel College Student Council – GCCSC
To express the opinions and views of the Students within the school to Staff, Board of Management, and Parents Association and to support and promote the ethos of the School.
- The name of the council is Good Counsel College Student Council
- The membership of the Council shall consist of THREE representatives – preferably no two from the same class group, elected by each year group in the school. Elections to be organised by each Year Head.
- The class representatives shall elect an Executive Committee, consisting of:
Public Relations Officer.The positions of Chairperson and Treasurer shall be open solely to Senior Cycle students. All other positions shall be open to Junior Cycle and Senior Cycle students.
- The term of office of the Executive Committee shall commence on 1st October, and shall cease at the end of the following September.
- In the third week of September the Class Representatives shall be elected. The Annual General Meeting of the Council shall take place in the fourth week of September. The Treasurer’s Report shall be presented and a new Executive Committee shall be elected, and any other business may also be considered at that time.
- A member of Staff shall act as Liaison between the Council, Staff, and Principal. This member of staff shall attend Council meetings.
- Amendments to this Constitution shall be by a two-thirds majority of Council members present, following prior notification given of such proposed amendment(s).
- The Principal shall have decision-making powers re: recommendations of the Council.
- A Council Notice Board is positioned in the Main School Building. Suggested items for the agenda of meetings of the Council shall be posted on this notice board and shall be prioritised by the Secretary two days before each meeting. The agenda for meetings of the Council shall be submitted to the staff liaison the day before the meeting.
Duties of the GCCSC
- Prior to elections students should be fully informed on the duties and responsibilities of the Council by the Executive Committee.
- Class representatives are expected to bring forward class views to Council meetings.
- The Council may be involved in organising fund-raising activities etc.
- The Council shall manage and distribute any funds of the Council.
- Council meetings shall be held once a week, during lunchtime or as required.
- Regular bulletins shall detail the progress of the council.
- The work of the council shall not affect class teaching time.
- Any council member who fails to attend two consecutive meetings of the council without reasonable explanation may be deemed to have resigned from the Council and shall be notified to that effect by the Secretary.
- Any member of the Executive Committee, who fails to carry out the duties of their office to the satisfaction of the Council, may be dismissed from their office by a two-thirds vote of Council members present.
Duties of the Executive Committee
- Chair each meeting of the Council.
- Act as a representative of the student body at school functions.
- Address the Board of Management or Parents Council as required.
- Inform incoming Committee members of their duties.
- Record proceedings, discussions, and decisions of all meetings, retain such records and give a copy to the Staff Liaison Member.
- Record the attendance at Council meetings.
- Send and receive all correspondence of the Council.
- Prepare the Agenda for all meetings and inform all members of such meetings in good time.
- Collect and lodge the Council’s money in their bank account.
- Present financial details to the Council as required.
- Present a financial Report to the AGM.
- Promote the activities of the Council in the school and the wider community.
- Maintain the School Council notice board.